Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Me and My BIS

With the BlackBerry taking over the market, I just couldn't be left behind. Getting the BlackBerry(BB) wasn't the hard part, I mean my Bold2 is toh bad. The hard part is keeping your BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) active. Things are expensive and difficult in Nigeria, now MTN decided to set the subscription price at #5000 per month. That could buy me a shirt & a Jean trouser or take me to the cinema for 5 mondays which includes a free drink and popcorn that's "SilverBird Cinemas".

So I've been a loyal MTN customer for 5yrs now, you can imagine how much I've invested in them. Participating in all their promos, loading airtime ranging from #3000 aka booster card to #50 transfer and the day my BIS expires, MTN doesn't even give me a second of grace. My BIS was to expire 8:05pm 5th July, I think they even cut me off 8:04:56pm.

I had to be activated, I couldn't afford being globally disconnected for 12hrs. How was I too get #5k when I just lost my last #5k in a bet for Ghana vs Uruguay quarter-final world cup fixture in which Uruguay shamefully won. I'll write about MTN and their exploitation on the Nigerian citizens later but for now I'm gonna tell you the thoughts that followed;

1) Should I steal fuel from my dads car and sell for #5k in the black market.

2) My sister just travelled, I could sell a couple of her clothes for #5k.

3) How about I just stand on the road n beg till I make #5k.

4) Maybe I could go to church and cook up some story that'll require #5k to settle, I mean its a christian body, they care for their brethren, right?

5) I could hold someone at gun point and demand #5k. I aint the 1st to carry out armed robbery.

6) Everyone comes with a laptop to work, 2weeks ago 2 laptops borrowed legs I could just give 2 more legs and get #5k after sales.

7) Try taking a loan of #5k from the bank that's if they'll not tell the security to throw me out.

8) I could kidnap myself n tell my dad my ransom is #5k. C'mon that's cheap for him, kinda stupid on my path but maybe he might not hesitate to pay although he might be broken down at the thought that his son is worth #5k only..

9) The house is worth way more than #5k, I bet if I can get my hands on the documents anybody would be willing to buy it for #5k.

10) I even thought of selling my BlackBerry for #5k.

These are just a few of the thoughts I can remember among a thousand and one others. In the end I activated my BIS before my 12hrs deadline, I can assure you I didn't use any of the thousand and one evil thoughts the devil put in my head but I can only conclude the BlackBerry is evil n I wonder how many young individuals it has led to a life of crime.

# - Nigerian Naira
K - Thousand

2 comments:

  1. hahaha lmao... I know how u feel!! I bliv technology is the devil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! U shld have sold ur house na n seen what ur pops wld have done to u. The perils of BIS. As a biz gez I'm yet to xperience this phenomena :p

    ReplyDelete